Home / Forum / Cosmetic Surgery: Breasts / How long do breast implants really last for?

forum

How long do breast implants really last for?

1 August 2008 at 0:12

Hiya,

I know this is probably a really stupid question to ask but what really is the estimated life of an implant before you need to change it? Im booking my surgery tomorrow but am starting to panic about what happens if i hav problems with them. I cant really afford them as it is and if i need to have another operation i have no idea how i can pay for this again! If anyone has any facts/statistics that would be great! Im also going with my breast who offer a 'lifetime guarantee' however i read the small print and the 'lifetime' guarantee is only 10 years!!! Not much of a lifetime then. Please help im really starting to think maybe this is the wrong decision. I really want them done but there are so many questionmarks!!!

Thanks

Flick xx

How do you get a breast lift without going under the knife?

How do you get a breast lift without going under the knife?

How do you get a breast lift without going under the knife? How do you get a breast lift without going under the knife?

What are the best exercises for toning your bum? What are the best exercises for toning your bum?

Get ready for the summer! Get ready for the summer!

1 August 2008 at 13:27

Implant lifetime,
I went with mybreast about 2 weeks ago, and one reason that i chose them is the LIFETIME guarentee on the implant. So if ANYTHING goes wrong with them, there will NO cost on my part for the implants to be change, with one exception, and that car accidents. Dont ank me why, i really dont know.

Rachel

1 likes-I like

17 February 2010 at 20:20

Breast implants question response - if you haven't already gone ahead!
Hi there,
Also considering surgery myself and have read as much info as I can possibly cram in! It seems there is no definite answer to this question, however most implants last anywhere up to 30yrs, or longer. Most practitioners 'guarantee' them for between 6-10 yrs, after which you have to pay for any problems that are incurred.
I'm definitely going to ask the clinic nurse how much will it be if they need 'tweaking', excuse the expression, at a later date; you want to know that you'll have the money there just in case!

Hope this helps,
Naomi

I like

18 February 2010 at 13:23

I've had mine 32 years
Hello Flick, in reply to your question, I've had mine 32 years, no problems, but had breast scan last year and was told my implants had collapsed. They still look andd feel ok, but was advised to have them removed. Having new implants 25th this month. I am 63 now, wouldnt want to have no boobs again!!
x

I like

26 February 2010 at 22:46
In response to starswan

I've had mine 32 years
Hello Flick, in reply to your question, I've had mine 32 years, no problems, but had breast scan last year and was told my implants had collapsed. They still look andd feel ok, but was advised to have them removed. Having new implants 25th this month. I am 63 now, wouldnt want to have no boobs again!!
x

Old implants
Hi Starswan,
Ive just been reading through some of the posts on this forum, in the hope that Id come across someone whod had their implants for longer than I have - 15 years.
Would you mind if I ask what kind of implants your old ones were, saline or silicone and if you know what make they were ? Its just that I have silicone PIP implants and Im really starting to panic as I cant afford a redo at this present time, if ever, Im reading so many horror stories about silent ruptures, etc and that you have to replace implants after 10 years or so but up until now I hadnt even given it a thought. Did you have any idea that yours were ruptured and did you have any complications with your redo ?
Id be so grateful if you could give me any information.
Many thanks
Linda

I like

26 February 2010 at 23:04

How long do they last...........?
Sorry, Flick
thought Id apologise for butting in on your question and asking Starswan about her experience with her old implants ! To be honest, it doesnt really seem to me as if anyone has the slightest idea how long any of the implants will last, whichever make they are although Im not exactly thrilled with the things Im now reading about PIPs, which are the implants that Transform gave me 15 years ago. I havent had any problems so far though, touch wood !
If you have them done, please dont make the mistake of not putting money aside just in case you need a redo in years to come, when I had mine done, money was no object and unfortunately I find myself in totally different circumstances now, so I advise you to plan ahead if you do go for it.
x

I like

26 February 2010 at 23:13

Hi
A lot of the implants have lifetime guarentees now or 10 years, all this means is if the implant ruptures the company will give you the implants free. You will still have to pay for the op.
The aftercare offered by companies/surgeons can be from 12 months to 5 years.
I have 3 years aftercare for complications and 5 years for rupture, this means should I have any problems in 3 years they will re op (for 3 ops only) for free to fix the problem, Plus re op for free for rupture for up to 5 years. After this, if I have any problems I will have to pay.

The newer style implants should last the life time of the patient, the only problem is how our boobs change over the years. As we age our skin and muscle and boobs change, so yes the implants may last our lifetime, but in say 20 years will they still look the way we want. I think you need to factor in that it is possible in the future that you may need a re op, not cause they are broken, but due to natural causes.

I put a little away very month in the boobie fund, just in case

I like

28 June 2010 at 14:55
In response to starswan

I've had mine 32 years
x

Wow
i was wondering where did you get yours done? what was the name of the clinic because i want to get breast implants and seeing as your lasted for YEARS it must mean the place done them well so let me know thanks x

I like

28 June 2010 at 16:22

Hi
I was worried about this aswell. The nurse i saw for my consult at harley medical said that the estimated time is 10 years but alot of woman have theirs last much longer, some lasting 30 years. But im sure she just said that to make it sound better xx

I like

3 April 2011 at 21:25
In response to starswan

I've had mine 32 years
x

What and where?!
32 years and no problems sounds fabulous! What implants did you have and where did you have them done? ...and more importantly, as you must have made such a good choice previously, what have you chosen to renew them with and with who? I have pips, ruptured, just 3 years old, and am awiating renewal on 26 April. I am very nervous about making the right choice for my implant this time. Your input would be greatly appreciated. All the talk of 'lifetime guarantees', etc always seem to have catches, and I am really frightened that I wont get what I want or is the safest, again.

1 likes-I like

11 August 2014 at 22:43
In response to starswan

I've had mine 32 years
x

I've also had mine 32 years.
I'm 62 and I've had nothing go wrong with my implants. They are polyurethane with a coating to prevent attachments to the chest wall. Did you have your out and replaced. IF you can you tlel me what the procedure was like ? Did you have lifetime ones replaced. I'm not sure I even want replacements at my age, but I'd hat to be a 34 aa again....

I like

20 September 2014 at 12:05

Breast implant
There is no time limit as to when or if you need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you'd like to change the size.

I like

20 September 2014 at 21:26

Nobody knows
Can honestly say looking at the research iv done nobody really knows the answers. Some people have them in for many years & some people need to have them replaced before there even 5 years old! Lots of conflicting evidence, but suppose its down to the individual & how their body reacts to the initial trauma of having the implants then dealing with having the foreign object in their body. All I can say really is that I have had my implants in for 2 and a half years, NO PROBLEMS OR TRAUMA what so ever!! I had a CT scan done as iv had a blood clot on my lung. The radiologist informed me that my left implant had ruptured!!! I was totally shocked & absolutely gutted!! Im now booked to have a revision on the 5th OCT, really did not expect this so soon after having my initial implants just two and a half years ago. I would deffo recommend to save every month after your orginal surgery JUST INCASE anything does happen. You read these horror stories and think "oh that's just unlucky" or "that stuff doesn't happen to me". Just be prepared x

I like

21 September 2014 at 11:57

Nobody knows
that's right, no one can predict how long they last for. butthere are better quality implants that you could have which have stronger double shells and even if they rupture the silicone doesn't leak out into the body.

it is important to do regular checks and know what symptoms to look for. my surgeon said that I can have my implants until I get a problem, it can be in few year time or in 15-20 years time. He sees me every year and checks my implants.

I had my first annual check with him in June and All is well

I like

21 September 2014 at 12:47

Hi
I also got told that my implants would last 10 years and would need replacing after that. I was told this aswell .....that after 10 years I could have them took out cleaned and all that, sort of rinsed then put back in.

I just think it seemed mad! They'd still be old even if they were cleaned, I wouldn't want my old implants put back in, I'd want new ones.

I like

4 April 2016 at 4:33
In response to starswan

I've had mine 32 years
x

Implants also for 32 years
I have also had them in for 32 years - at that time it was silicone - the only thing I have notice in 32 years is that they have shrunk a little and one is a little hard you can feel the circle being hard inside otherwise it's fine - I never knew they had to be relaxed that's something new I have heard in the past 5 years - I am 64 and think at this point tit would be strange to replace them unless causing problems!

I like

4 April 2016 at 14:39

No one knows
My implants come with 20 years warranty, but I don't think anyone really knows how long they last. my ps told me I need to replace them only if I develop cc, rupture or I need a lift. Even if in the future I need a lift, and the implant is still intact, I can use the same one.

Before I made my decision, I thought of the worst thing that could happen, like having issues with my implants, I weighted the pros and cons and I accepted the risks and went ahead.

I think you should do the same and only go through with it if you accept the risks involved.

I like

6 July 2016 at 7:25
In response to gill2803

Nobody knows
that's right, no one can predict how long they last for. butthere are better quality implants that you could have which have stronger double shells and even if they rupture the silicone doesn't leak out into the body.

it is important to do regular checks and know what symptoms to look for. my surgeon said that I can have my implants until I get a problem, it can be in few year time or in 15-20 years time. He sees me every year and checks my implants.

I had my first annual check with him in June and All is well

Cool!
How much did they cost you and where did you go to get your breast done!?

I like

6 July 2016 at 7:29

Botched
Go to Dr. Terry Dubrow, Dr. Paul Nassif from that tv show I trust them after watching there episodes LOL

I like

6 July 2016 at 11:58

No guarantee
I had a similar question when I had mine done especially after the PIP thing a few years back. like some of the other ladies on here, i was told by my PS that they should last a lifetime as along as they don't rupture which the obviously can't not guarantee will happen. The clinic I used ask you to go back for a quick follow up at yearly intervals after you have been signed off at 6/8 weeks post op just to check everything is ok which was enough for me to book with them. However if I felt that anything was wrong I could call or book back in with them any time. I would check with your clinic that this service is available as although I haven't had to call them 18 months later, (touch wood) at least I know that I can. I have heard that is it not unusual for them to be replaced at 10 - 20 years though. Good luck, if you are not sure, then hold off!

I like

Previous threads
From hair ideas to outifts, look no further for your daily inspiration
pinterest

You might also like

Top of the page