Home / Forum / Cosmetic Surgery: Breasts / Rhinoplasty, does the swelling go down?

Rhinoplasty, does the swelling go down?

8 June 2007 at 15:56

Iv had Rhinoplasty done ten days ago and i have just had my cast taken off and I am slightly worried as the tip still looks rather big like it did previously. The nurse ensured me that it is just merely swelling but i am really panicing that the surgeon did not do much to the tip as i used to have a bump in my nose but that has been removed and looks great.
So if anyone has had rhinoplasty could u please let me know how much swelling there was in the tip of the nose so i will know if mine will ever go down

x x x

8 June 2007 at 16:49

Hey
Don't worry! I've had rhino and my nose looked so swollen when they took the cast off I burst into tears and wanted a refund! Everyone's different but I'd say it took at least 2 months for my nose to look like it does now. It wasn't so bad that anyone else would notice, but it just keeps getting smaller! I'm sure yours will to. That's the nature of a nose job, they didn't take my 'after' pictures until after 1 year because they say it's not completely settled until then, so don't fret, I'm sure it'll be lovely!
xxx

I like

8 June 2007 at 21:02
In response to vic8080

Hey
Don't worry! I've had rhino and my nose looked so swollen when they took the cast off I burst into tears and wanted a refund! Everyone's different but I'd say it took at least 2 months for my nose to look like it does now. It wasn't so bad that anyone else would notice, but it just keeps getting smaller! I'm sure yours will to. That's the nature of a nose job, they didn't take my 'after' pictures until after 1 year because they say it's not completely settled until then, so don't fret, I'm sure it'll be lovely!
xxx

Read more

Thanks
Hey thanks for that. Well i hope mine will go down and iv been so upset today because of it. Its just that after 10 days of having that thing on you expect a major transformation. The bridge of the nose is perfect its just the tip that still looks large

x x x

I like

11 June 2007 at 21:47
In response to seductivemonroe

Thanks
Hey thanks for that. Well i hope mine will go down and iv been so upset today because of it. Its just that after 10 days of having that thing on you expect a major transformation. The bridge of the nose is perfect its just the tip that still looks large

x x x

Read more

Had mine done!
hi guys, i can finally say I've had it done, I am 7 days post op. Recovery has been ok, the first 4 days I barely ate anything, I am eating properly now but only in bitesize pieces because i physically can not open my mouth any wider! Also, even little things like yawning has made my nose feel fragile, am I being paranoid!? I have been in bed the whole wee so I can't have done anything else to dislodge any bones etc or whatever can happen! What was your recovery like??

Also I have still kept the gauze thing on because i keep getting stuff oozing out, it's a nuisance looking in the mirror every 2 mins to wipe my nose. I am worried though for the cast removal on thursday, as even though my hump looks like it's gone, the tip looks really raised, i said to the surgeon dont make me look like a pig! But at the mo, its sticking up loads and my nostrils look weird. Is this because of the way it's tied up with the cast??? There seems to be some tape sort of tied from underneath the cast o the tip, maybe this is raising the tip. Did u guys have this??

I like

12 June 2007 at 6:44

Nose job
Hi, I read your message about your nose. I am going through the same thing. My tip is so swollen and i am very discouraged. I am in a depression. I would like to know as well what others have gone through to help me with this. The Dr keeps saying it will take a year to a year in a half for the tip to not be swollen! Let me know what you find out. Thanks Alicia
sanchezrn@adelphia.net

I like

6 September 2007 at 15:56

On my fourth nose job
Hi to you all

Im afraid to say that after three nose jobs im about to undergo another. The swelling goes down its true and this can take upto a year but there wont be alot of difference.

I have undergone open rhino surgery to get rid of my bulbous tip and then got problems as it buckled. The first op like you said was good that it got rid of the bump in my nose but the tip was the main problem.

In order to refine the nose really well you need to cut it open and remove from the outside, however they took too much from mine so you have to be so carefull. I will now be having a skin graft put under my nose to correct the problem. There are always more options for you if you are not happy and revised surgery if your not happy should always be free of charge.

I like

31 October 2007 at 23:36

Thanks

x x x

Read more

6 months down the line
I am really unhappy with the result of my rhinoplasty. Six months later and my nose is still swollen (bridge and tip) and still have discolouration. The consultant says its a build up of scar tissue as I acquired a post operative infection. It is making me feel very disheartened and very depressed. I have been told that if no improvement within the next month, then he will re-operate. Has this happened to anyone else?

I like

4 November 2007 at 14:24
In response to alicja13

6 months down the line
I am really unhappy with the result of my rhinoplasty. Six months later and my nose is still swollen (bridge and tip) and still have discolouration. The consultant says its a build up of scar tissue as I acquired a post operative infection. It is making me feel very disheartened and very depressed. I have been told that if no improvement within the next month, then he will re-operate. Has this happened to anyone else?

Read more

Septo rhinoplasty
I had a septo rhinoplasty in July and because i could not breathe properly on the right hand side nostril, thats where most of the work was done, there is still very noticable swelling on the right hand side,
I have read things that say swelling can take up to a year does anyone know what this could be??? maybe liquid or scar tissue ? because it feels quite hard.
I go back to my surgeon in 1 month and im hoping a miracle will happen within that time

I like

8 November 2007 at 17:41

Thanks

x x x

Read more

Hi same problem..
i had mine done 10 days ago..
fantastic hardly any bruising... got all excited the day before and the cast came off..
the bridge looks fantastic then looks big and bulby at the tip... they sway it will go down.. but reading other comments.. does it>? im feeling deflated.. what do you think..
xxx

I like

7 February 2008 at 1:50

My hump appears larger 10 days after rhinoplasty
hey I had a rhinoplasty done about ten days ago. the surgeon removed my hump, however after he took the case off the hump appeared larger than before the surgery. he said that it was the swelling and it would go down in 2 weeks. just want to know if it realy is going to go down. i dont know why the hump is still there. I had a closed rhinoplasty.

I like

10 February 2008 at 22:30
In response to koka119

My hump appears larger 10 days after rhinoplasty
hey I had a rhinoplasty done about ten days ago. the surgeon removed my hump, however after he took the case off the hump appeared larger than before the surgery. he said that it was the swelling and it would go down in 2 weeks. just want to know if it realy is going to go down. i dont know why the hump is still there. I had a closed rhinoplasty.

Read more

Open rhinoplasty
hi, I agree ..i had open rhino for a bump on the middle of my nose. My nose is twice the size as it was before! He also said while he was there he corrected my tip..my tip looked fine to me but now i have this great huge swollen tip and nose..that looks like a thick link sausage..the thick ones!.. thats been slapped onto my face with no shape whatsoever!! I am in hiding from all my family and friends ..Feel like the hunchbacks girlfriend..so i know the feeling. This is my 2nd day after the cast was removed and nothing happening yet!!!seems to be getting bigger..hope im not going to be hermitised forever!!!
however my older cousin had closed rhino and her swelling took around 4 weeks to start to go down.

I like

17 March 2008 at 22:25

Thank god!
i am so happy to hear i am not the only having these thoughts- all week i have been going crazy bc the tip looks bigger than prior to surgery! I get the cast off in like 2 days and am praying that it eventually goes down-the entire point of me getting this is bc I thought my nose was too big for my face to begin with!

I like

28 March 2008 at 19:55

I know the feeling...
Im 20 years old and have been wanting rhinoplasty since I was in the 6th grade. It was a very personal decision for me, no one seemed to see how large my nose was but me! So 9 days ago it finally happened. I had researched doctors for about 6 months and after seeing 5 plastic surgeons I finally found one that specialized in rhinoplasty. Long story short...yesterday I had my metal splint removed and I was terrified to look in the small round mirror my doctor handed me (Thank God I didnt look at myself in the magnified side!!!) To my horror my bridge of my nose seemed so small in comparison to my newly huge almost bulbous tip (which I previously didnt have)! I litterally went into depression the moment I saw it. I got home and probably hadn't cried that hard in years..which in turn made my nose seem ever worse from the swelling the crying caused me: ( I have hope that my nose will return to normal at the tip and I feel your pain. Its hard to face the world when all you can see is a ball on the end of your nose. For as long as I wanted this procedure I almost feel a mourning for the loss of my old nose right now. Was it really worth it?? I know its way to early to have these feelings as I know post plastic surgery depression is almost a given with this type of procedure. I feel that this is all part of the emotional side of myself catching up to the severe trauma my body has physically had to deal with in the last 9 days. Lets face it...having rhinoplasty is the equivilant of having a major accident. It takes time and although healing is slow...in the long run 6 months is nothing compared to spending the rest of your life with a newer better you. My best of luck to everyone: ) Jessica!

I like

1 May 2008 at 21:56

Me too
I'm getting a litttle worried myself. I to had the hump on my nose and the size of my nose changed. I was expecting to feel better about my nose but it seems worse thatn before. I too have the big nose complex. I have looked forwqrd to this surgery since childhood. Iam very disappointed with the large size of the end of my nose. I am 13 days out from surgery. I am hoping that the swelling goes down. I ahve yet to have one person say that it looks good. If anyone can give some positive remark please help us out. AShley

I like

3 May 2008 at 16:09

Same here depression!
Hi all

I had my nose done on the 23rd aril 2008, im getting married in august and wanted that perfect nose for my pictures, my nose was long and had a hump in the middle, the surgeon made out i was gonna have a perfect nose he was going to make the tip thinner, remove the hump and bring the tip up slightly.

Neway ive had the surgery done, and the day they took the cast off i cried i couldnt believe it i wanted my old nose back, it look like someone had stuck a pigs nose on me and my tip looks 10 times bigger than before its huge and round it was never like that before, ive been so depressed about it and have been told i cant see my surgeon till the 23rd May, the tip feels hard as does the bridge i really do hope its swelling, ive got my cousin's wedding in 3 weeks and if i look anything like i do now theres no way i'll go!i got told before i had the surgery done that it would take about 2weeks to recover and for swelling and bruising to go!how optamistic were they?!day by day im getting more and more depressed and obsessed with the damn thing i keep taking pictures trying to compare them to the ones i took a day before to see if theres anything different!it seems like the swelling just isn't going to go and i keep crying i spent all that money and instead of looking and feeling better i feel and look terrible!is there anyone who's had open rhinoplasty done gone through the same?please someone make me feel better....

xxx

I like

5 May 2008 at 17:13
In response to honey87011

Same here depression!
Hi all

I had my nose done on the 23rd aril 2008, im getting married in august and wanted that perfect nose for my pictures, my nose was long and had a hump in the middle, the surgeon made out i was gonna have a perfect nose he was going to make the tip thinner, remove the hump and bring the tip up slightly.

Neway ive had the surgery done, and the day they took the cast off i cried i couldnt believe it i wanted my old nose back, it look like someone had stuck a pigs nose on me and my tip looks 10 times bigger than before its huge and round it was never like that before, ive been so depressed about it and have been told i cant see my surgeon till the 23rd May, the tip feels hard as does the bridge i really do hope its swelling, ive got my cousin's wedding in 3 weeks and if i look anything like i do now theres no way i'll go!i got told before i had the surgery done that it would take about 2weeks to recover and for swelling and bruising to go!how optamistic were they?!day by day im getting more and more depressed and obsessed with the damn thing i keep taking pictures trying to compare them to the ones i took a day before to see if theres anything different!it seems like the swelling just isn't going to go and i keep crying i spent all that money and instead of looking and feeling better i feel and look terrible!is there anyone who's had open rhinoplasty done gone through the same?please someone make me feel better....

xxx

Read more

Feeling blue like you after rhinoplasty on the 15 th april 2008
Hi honey,
How are you feeling today? a little better i hope. I am almost 3 weeks post op and im still a recluse because i cannot face the world because i feel so ugly looking and im just too embarrassed to bump into anyone i know. Im usually always a busy bee out and about and im feling so depressed being stuck indoors waiting for this darn nose to look presentable. My nose wasnt too bad pre op...its just that i wanted less projection and a slimmer bridge.my surgeon said he will also refine the tip. When the cast csame off my immediate reaction was that i looked like one o the jackson family! my bridge does look slimmer which is good but my nose looks elongated because the tip protrudes because of the swelling,i hope,and the most weird thing is that my nostrils are now visible and i have a turned up look like posh spice! the area below my nose and above my lip looks weird too..it looks longer and my smile has altered. there is definitely a swelling in the mouth area. oh i hate this piggy look. I had open rhinoplasty in london. what about you? hopefully we both still have alot of swelling which will subide eventually. in the meantime i have no social life and want my old nose back because i feel this sharper look just doesnt suit my face.my tip is very hard too..i guess this is still swelling. try not to cry this will impede healing and create more swelling. patience is what we need and hopefully eventually we will be happy and you will look beautiful for your wedding in the summer. my appt with my surgeon is on the 30th may. i called the nurse because surgeon was away to complain about my concern and she just said that the nose needs to heal and it will look nothing like it looks now in a few wks..but i guess what else would she say.........

I like

5 May 2008 at 20:03

Same here depression!
Hi all

xxx

Read more

Same boat
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Rhinoplasty. I too just recently had rhinoplasty performed and as you I am not happy at all with the outcome. He did nothing we discussed, but just made a very small change to my tip. I am in the works to try and get my money back and have already contacted another Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon in Atlanta Georgia to see about a revision when I have completely healed from this one. I am pretty ticked off that I have gone through all this and not come out with the results I was hoping for and I look at it as since the doctor didn't perform to my expectations, then I want my money back. As for the swelling, most of the major swelling has gone down, but my tip is still pretty sore and numb. If your swelling continues I would definately get in to see your doctor. Good luck with everything.

I like

6 May 2008 at 0:16

Swelling
Just wanted to say saw my surgoen 3 months post op today and he said the tip is still swollen and to massage the whole nose and the sides of the nose (after 3 weeks tho) Showed me my befroe pics which made me realise it wasnt that bad to start with but i was more paranoid cos of the comments i had had of naughty kids i used to work with. But side on it does look better than b4. Realised afterwards tho that he didnt show me the front on view of afterwards! I know i have just got to accept it and move on. Trouble is i want my boobs done now adn in a way wish i'd saved my nose money for my boobs! Gosh i'm never happy.

I like

6 May 2008 at 1:01

Swelling
who did you have yours with ?

I like

10 May 2008 at 21:20

Same here depression!
Hi all

xxx

Read more

Re: same here depression.
Hi, just posting this to give you info on my Nose op so that you have a 'real' idea of how long it takes for the swelling to go down. I had my op 8 months ago (and am not happy with it , but different story!), and still have a tiny bit of swelling still. However the majority of the swealling will go down in 3 months (hopefully in time for your wedding!). It probably looks like a pigs trout now but that is most definatley swelling and that is because the nostrils have been flared to get the scoupel in (also the split tends to push it up), but this goes away in rouyghly 2 months (you should see big improvement in 1 month). All in all a very long healing process, but the trick is not to keep looking at it in the mirror (it won't change every 5 minutes), i know its hard, trust me i was the same, crying swearing , wishing i never had it (still do but another reason!). In terms of the bruising that goes away more quickly 3-4weeks. just try not to think about it too much, also when you wake up in the morning don't start examining it straight away because your nose (and face ) will be puffy (since you've just woken up) and it will make the swealling look the same or worse, the best time is to look in the afternoon or at night. The only other tip i can give you is to walk around especially outside in the breeze (not in the direct sun-BAD!), the cool air helps with swelling. Good luck, you should be able to see the real (permant) results in three months.

Henna.

I like

Go back to forum

Previous threads
Top of the page